Born on August 9, 1933, at the family home on Mercer Street in Phillipsburg, NJ, he was the son of the late Harvey T. Emery and Margaret Gallagher Emery, who had been the long-time owners and operators of Morrie’s Acres Restaurant in Lopatcong Twp.
Dr. Emery was a 1951 graduate of Phillipsburg High School, a pre-medical 1955 graduate of Villanova University, and a 1965 Doctoral Graduate of Medicine at the University of Zurich Medical School, Switzerland.
From 1966 to 1968, Dr. Emery served as a 1st Lt, Active Duty Physician with the US Navy. Subsequently, he continued his post-Doctoral work at the Sacred Heart Hospital of Allentown, as well as ongoing additional engagements at the NJ College of Medicine at the Martland Hospital in East Orange, NJ.
He served cardiac Fellowships at the NJ College of Medicine - Martland-Pollack Hospitals of Newark/Jersey City NJ, and the St Barnabas Medical Center of Livingston, NJ.
Dr. Emery had been an active, attending physician of cardiology at both Warren and Easton Hospitals since 1972. He was a past President of the Warren Hospital Medical Staff from 1987-1989 and from 1989-1993 served as the first physician appointed to the Board of Trustees of Warren Hospital. As a member of the NJ State Medical Society, he was also the former 10 year President of the Warren County, NJ Medical Society from 1987 thru 1997.
During his life-long service in Phillipsburg and Easton, he had been a Program Instructor for Warren and Easton Hospitals, the Phillipsburg and Lopatcong Area Emergency Squads, the Phillipsburg School District and Its Athletic Program, as well as various other service groups in the community. He had been an on-site physician at various athletic events for Philipsburg High School, as also for Lopatcong Township attending to athletes as their needs required. At a routine high school wrestling match, after observing a potentially life-threatening leg headlock applied tightly to the carotid artery of the neck of a competing wrestler, he initiated an immediate communication to the NJSIAA thru Phillipsburg's Athletic Department. The hold was reviewed by their Medical Board and, subsequently, forever barred in all wrestling competition in the State of New Jersey.
Dr. Emery was acknowledged by the American Cancer Society- Warren County Unit- in 1997 as an outstanding area physician for his work and support of the medical needs of patients in Warren County. In 2006 he was named as Phillipsburg’s Outstanding Citizen of the Year by the Phillipsburg Area Chamber of Commerce, and in 2007 he was inducted into the Phillipsburg High School Wall of Fame as an outstanding Alumnus.
Surviving with his wife, the former Mary Frederick with whom he celebrated 61 years of marriage on July 5, 2019, are his 6 children, Robert J. Emery and wife Shelly, Lopatcong Twp; Stephen P. Emery and wife Debbie, Long Island, N.Y; Nadine M. Uhler and husband Russell, Allentown, Pa; Harvey T. Emery and wife Mary, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Denise E. Payran, Lopatcong Twp; and Patrick J. Emery, Manahawkin, NJ. Dr. Emery is survived by 15 grandchildren; Brett, Alexandria, Colin, Dylan, Bryn, Layne, Audrey, Russell, Zane and Jace Emery, and Samantha, Jordan and Brock Uhler, and Zackary and Paxton Payran. He is also survived by his brother, Dr. Jack Emery, and wife Barbara, Forks Twp, Pa. and Sisters -in Law Shirley Emery, Pohatcong Twp, and Marie Emery, White Twp, NJ.
Dr. Emery was pre-deceased by his brothers, H. Thomas Emery of Pohatcong Twp, Donald R. Emery of Lopatcong Twp, and son-in-law Mick Payran of Lopatcong Twp.
Dr. Emery was a life-long member of Sts. Philip and James Catholic Church, Phillipsburg, the Warren County and New Jersey Medical Societies, a past member of the Philipsburg Area Rotary, the Mecsey-Bishop American Legion Post 456, Stewartsville, NJ., as well an enthusiastic life member of the Phillipsburg Athletic Boosters Association.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10:00 am on Saturday, February 15, 2020, at Sts. Philip and James Catholic Church in Phillipsburg. Interment will follow at the Sts. Philip and James Cemetery, Greenwich Township, NJ. There will be no calling hours. The Finegan Funeral Home, Phillipsburg is in charge of services. Visit www.fineganfh.com.
Memorial donations may be made to Sts. Philip and James Catholic Church, the Phillipsburg Emergency Squad, the Lopatcong Emergency Squad, or the Phillipsburg Garnet Boosters Association.